Thursday, April 9, 2009

Making the Spiderman cake

Last Saturday we celebrated Andrew's birthday by having a Spiderman birthday party. So....Friday night I set out to make a Spiderman cake of Spiderman's mask. I was doing very well at putting both layers together without dropping it or breaking off any pieces, and the shape came out great. I just cut it, I didn't use a pan. But when I started frosting it I ran into problems. Last year I made an Elmo face cake and I had a VERY difficult time making red frosting. So this time I thought I would use pre-made red frosting, which comes in the tubes as decorator icing. Only this is really only made for doing detail work and not frosting the whole cake, which was starting to make my cake lift up and would have taken a lot of tubes. My friend and next-door-neighbor Arien came to the rescue!! She told me to call Fred Meyer's bakery and ask them for 2lbs. of buttercream frosting tinted "Spiderman red." They had it ready 5 minutes later and it was only $2.82!!!! Cheaper than a can of buttercream frosting! I will NEVER make and tint my own frosting again!! It worked so well. Then I used parchment paper to make the shape of the eyes and lay it over the cake and I piped white decorator icing back and forth. I traced the web with a metal spatula and then I used black gel to make the web and it came out so cool!!!

THE FINISHED PRODUCT:



THE MAKING OF THE CAKE:




Andrew only saw me carve the shape, he didn't see the cake until his party.

You see the red frosting piped into the dish, totally NOT spreadable!



The finishing touches







Ta-da! I think Duff from 'Ace of Cakes' would be proud, for an ameteur.



And...it tasted delicious with a marion-blackberry filling. Yum!! Andrew loved it!

2 comments:

me said...

Very nice! My sister Mel makes cakes too. If you want to see her latest cake check out her blog on my page. It's called "It's a wonderful life."
She made a dump truck cake for her little guy who just turned 1. I guess that cake took 6 6x6 cakes. I don't have the patience for fancy cake making like you two. I would get too frustrated. Good job though.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Jana, that cake turned out really good!! Nice job!